Changes in traveler-guest data regulations

With the changes in the tourism law that the Balearic government is carrying out in 2018, owners and rental agencies will have to comply with a series of new, interesting and most enjoyable activities. In this particular case, with regard to changes in the traveler-guest data regulations. Therefore, if you are the owner of a property for vacation rental, you will have to comply with the following procedures.

First, you will need to create and maintain a “Registration Book” containing the originals of the fully completed and signed registration sheets, both for you and your guests.

Here is a copy of the registration forms to be filled out when you need it.

Download Registration Sheet

The requirements of the Record Book are as follows:

  • You must keep the “Record Book” on the property for a minimum of 3 years (We understand that it does not have to be on the property you are renting, but it must be kept at your home or where you usually keep your important documents. We clarify this because we are relying on the official text and the government has a strange habit of complicating and making confusing what can be simple, simple and understandable.
  • It must have a minimum of 100 sheets and a maximum of 500 sheets.
  • It must be correctly arranged.

Secondly, you are obliged to communicate this information to the Police or the Guardia Civil within 24 hours of the start of your stay for all your guests over the age of 16.

This communication can be done in 4 different ways and as long as the rooms you are going to address have the appropriate means to do so. The 4 forms are as follows.

  • Physically: presenting two copies of the registration form directly to the Police or Guardia Civil, either by hand or by mail. One of the copies will be returned to you with the corresponding stamp so that you can be sure that you have fulfilled your obligation.
  • By magnetic support. Please note that this is a CD, a DVD, a Pen Drive or any device that supports digital files.
  • By Fax.
  • By Internet using one of these two addresses:


Guardia Civil:

In any case, they must give or send you an acknowledgement of receipt of this information as proof of the fulfilment of your obligation. Make sure you receive it and keep it, because it is always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Once you have decided on the means by which you are going to make the data communications, approach the Police Station or the Civil Guard of the municipality to which your property belongs to register (register) as a person or entity marketing tourist stays and communicate the means by which you are going to make the data transfers.

The documents you will need for registration are as follows:

  • Declaration responsible for the Start of Tourist Activity (DRIAT) duly stamped.
  • Deed of ownership of the property.
  • Identity card.

For the time being, we will have to comply with these requirements in the hope that the next changes in the law will not complicate our lives further.

José Francisco Pérez AlvarezAuthor:
José Francisco Pérez Alvarez